This antique Syrian dish is also named Kibbeh or Kubba. It is a favorite in the entire Middle East and is composed by meat patties made from minced lamb, bulgur and onions.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat.
- 1/2 lb minced lamb, chicken or beef seasoned well with salt.
- 1 medium onion grated or chopped finely.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin.
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme.
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint.
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped pine nuts, slivered almonds or walnuts.
- Melted butter or olive oil.
Place bulgur in a bowl and cover totally with water. After soaking for 2 to 3 hours, drain and wash bulgur and squeeze out all water. Mince the bulgur in a food processor to get it even finer.
Mix bulgur with cumin, thyme and black pepper. Sauté onions in olive oil, add meat and brown, then add pine nuts and cook until they are golden. Finally, layer the bulgur and meat combination into a greased pan: bulgur, meat, bulgur, meat and drizzle with melted butter/olive oil to keep moist.