Known in Western as Stuffed Zucchini, it is a dish that has countless variations in Africa, Asia and Europe, but it is basically made from stuffed courgettes.
- 8 (approximately 12cm long) white zucchini, stalks trimmed, washed.
- 100g lamb mince.
- 50g (1/4 cup) long-grain rice, washed, drained.
- 1/2 tomato, finely chopped.
- 10g butter, melted.
- 2 teaspoon water.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 70g (1/4 cup) tomato paste .
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- Lebanese bread to serve.
- Natural yoghurt to serve.
Use a small, sharp knife to take away the flesh from the zucchini, leaving a 5mm-thick border, then wash shells in a bowl of salted water. After that, mix the mince, rice, tomato, butter, water, allspice and cinnamon in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Fill each zucchini shell about 3-quarters full with the rice combination.
Place the zucchini in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Include tomato paste and salt. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 1 hour or until very tender. Divide among serving plates and pour over broth. Serve with bread and yoghurt.