This is the most traditional food in the emirate, and one of the most inexpensive. It is meat that has been cooked on a skewer and then cut into thin strips and placed into a pita bread with vegetables and dressing. There are also exotic Lebanese and Persian varieties.
- 1/2 pound lamb meat, cut into strips.
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into strips.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1/2 onion, minced.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar.
- 6 large sections pita bread.
- 2 tomatoes, chopped.
- 6 slices pickled eggplant (optional).
- 3 serrano or jalapeno chilies, stems and seeds removed, chopped.
- Yoghurt to taste.
Place meat in a glass bowl. In another bowl, merge the spices, salt, garlic, onion, bay leaf, lemon juice, and vinegar, stir well, and pour it over the meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
Drain meat from the marinade and pat dry. Grill meat over a hot charcoal or gas fire until done, around 10 minutes, turning habitually. Separate meat into pita bread sections, add tomatoes, pickled eggplant if using, chilies, and a tablespoon or more of yoghurt.